Monday, April 14, 2008

Evelyn's Dream Team

Birthing class made me a little more nervous about labor than I thought it would. I loved all the knowledge, but it also presented some unknowns that I had not previously considered. Our instructor talked a lot about the relationship we would form with our nurses and doctor. The nurse would be with us the whole time, and although the Dr would probably only come in at the end, he or she would be consulted throughout the process. All the sudden I was wondering what would happen if I didn't like my nurses, or disagreed with what they or the Dr said, or was delivered by a strange doctor. The instructor talked about asking for a different nurse if you didn't get along and asking lots of questions about procedures to make sure what you wanted was being done. However, that seemed overwhelming!

All my worries were for nothing though, because we had the most amazing group of people caring for us the entire time we were at Tacoma General. From the very beginning I was so impressed with the environment and the staff. They were full the whole time we were there, but not only did it never seem chaotic, someone was always checking in on us; we felt like the only ones there. Our labor and delivery nurses, Patsy and Julie blew me away. The were so knowledgeable, really working with me to try and move things along (my daughter was not as helpful at moving things along!) They were so positive and encouraged me, not giving up on me even when I wanted to give up on myself. Some people don't want to give birth at a hospital because it is sterile and unwelcoming. This didn't feel like a sterile hospital, but rather like a supportive and warm environment in which to give birth. I can honestly say I could not imagine two better nurses or two other people who I would have wanted supporting me, they were incredible.


I feel the same way about the two doctors I had working with me, Dr Snowden and Dr Abbi (I had two other doctors for a short time and they were great too, I'm just a little blurry on the details, sorry!) Dr Snowden and Dr Abbi both spent a good deal if time with me, maybe because of my stubborn daughter and her tilted head, I don't know : ) but, as with the nurses, I felt like they really understood that I wanted to try and stay natural and they worked with me to help reach that goal. I felt so safe with them and again, like the nurses, they really encouraged me the whole time. Three and a half hours is a long time to push (trust me on this!) and I think just how supportive they were is illustrated by the fact that a friend of mine would come and listen outside the door and she could hear everyone cheering me on, lifting my spirits, giving me the energy and hope to try again. And again. And again. : ) And even when things became serious and Evelyn's heart rate started to drop, I could sense their calm and that they knew exactly what to do. Everything was explained to me so clearly, which I appreciated. Evelyn (and I) could not have been in better hands. Oh, and sorry for all the times I said to stop hurting me!


The care we received after she was born was also just wonderful. We had many nurses, Patty and Shirley were the first and we had them more than once, but there were several others and each one was so helpful, so positive, and made the whole experience so much better. From helping me walk the three steps to the bathroom, to giving advice on nursing, and answering every little question or concern that I had-you were all great and we appreciate your care so much.


Doula Sara. This woman will forever have a special place in our hearts as well. She was a true partner in every way; Bard and I can't imagine not having had her there. From holding my legs back for over an hour (nurse Patsy's idea, by the way if you're reading this Patsy it was five days before my legs could handle stairs, but your idea worked-she came out!), to providing clarity and suggestions for the whole process, to just adding a sense of calm, Sara was amazing. We truly appreciate you.


Of course I'm so blessed to have had such an amazingly supportive group of people surrounding me through this whole pregnancy-Bard and I are so grateful to be bringing up Evelyn amongst such godly and caring people. I had friends and family in the lobby, supporting me through prayer, and just their presence. Another friend woke in the middle of the night-just before Evelyn's heart rate started dropping, and she started praying that everything was going well and specifically that I wouldn't have to have a C-section. More friends prayed through it all and have continued to pray, along with providing meals, grocery runs, and check ins. I'm really astounded by all of you. Thank you.


And my husband. We all knew he would be great, he is just that way : ) But to remember hearing the nurses, the doctors, and our doula, all comment on how wonderful he was through the whole process brings tears of gratitude to my eyes. More than one person said she wished more husbands were like that. I don't have to wish because I can't imagine a better husband or father. I don't know how long it will take Evelyn to realize what we all know-she has an amazing dad and is fortunate to be the daughter of someone whose heart follows God, which is seen by his actions over and over. You live out love.


I never imagined such a painful and difficult experience could be so beautiful and give me so many opportunities to be grateful to so many people. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

No comments: