Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Skinny

Dawn of a new day.
Wow.

I had written two pages about the last few days-what actually happened-but stupid blogger just deleted  it!  That's it, I'm switching to a diary!

Dear Diary, you are so much better than blogger, who is not my friend anymore and not invited to my birthday party!  And did you see Sawyer advertising watches on that billboard? I knew I liked this country!

Oh well, basically I wrote that I have spent almost two full days driving around in the backseat of a car with three children, 2 of which are tired and cranky and a third who for the most part is not-and that makes the behavior of the other two all the more annoying!
First time in a carseat
But how is Max?  He has done really well, marvelously well as a matter of fact!  He sleeps, plays, chatters, and crawls around the apartment (when he isn't strapped into a sweaty carseat that is.)  We've struggled s bit with feeding but I think we are finding a good balance-for now.  It's pretty standard at most orphanages for them to feed one year olds more like 6 month babies.  Mushy puree, only warm food/drink, bottles, that kind of thing.  Before we picked him up Director Tatiana was kind enough to copy his schedule and write out the details for us, and on Tuesday Vitaly translated it so we have been lucky enough to know what and when he eats and sleeps.  But, of course it's going to be different and I'm worried he's not eating enough.
First feeding
I'll be the first adoptive parent whose kid loses weight after leaving the orphanage!

He's sleeping now though, at least until we wake him for his night feeding (hey kiddo, don't get mad at me, I'm just following instructions!  That will be one of the first things we change back in the States!)  He wore himself out screaming during his bath (oops, forgot to get the Jacuzzi) but then was a happy camper to have our second family bed time.  The girls are so excited it almost negates the idea of bed time, but their sweetness also helps them survive another day without being put on a DHL flight back home!

Speaking of CPS, we're in the land of Yogurt here and so when I read that on his meal plan for morning snack I just pulled one of the three favors I had out of the fridge.  I have never seen a child so offended in my life!  I am pretty sure he called CPS on us and that's very impressive since he doesn't speak English and can't use a phone.  Do not give that child cold yogurt.  Do.  Not.

Sidenote-while I am blogging Bard is filling out a form online-for our own government-here's some of the questions our government asks people applying for Visas-

-Are you coming to the US to practice polygamy?
-Do you seek to engage in espionage or spy tactics while in the US?
-Are you a member of a terrorist organization?
First time sleeping with a family.
-Have you ever renounced your citizenship to avoid paying taxes?
-Have you ever engaged in genocide?

Your tax dollars people, hard at work generating questions to catch idiots.

Tomorrow we head to our embassy (just kidding 'Merica, I love you!) and to the medical clinic.  Our passport is being processed and we should have it Tuesday afternoon, then final medical and visa on
Wednesday, flight on Thursday!

Home ,where my thought's escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Ha ha! Cold food and cold drinks, except curiously, ice cream, will cause great sickness in children. I was so thrilled to be able to have bottles of Cokes on ice at a 4th of July picnic for my guests only to have the parents forbid their children to drink them until they returned to room temperature. I went to great trouble to get ice as it really didn't exist! Oh the joys of learning cultural differences!