Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Just a Quick Update

Well, quick for me :)

Cecilia seemed a lot better but still was a bit sick during the night so I sent Bard off with Evelyn to the orphanage-without us.  Life is so unfair!  I'm a fairly active person (ha ha, that's a hilarious understatement!) So two days cooped up has left me slightly insane.  Yesterday I cleaned the whole apartment top to bottom, did laundry, scrubbed every surface, uploaded all our videos, blogged, and still had some time to watch Frozen.  Which was more annoying than usual because it's too hot and I don't want to see people being cold, even if they are fake-but don't tell my daughter that because she asked me if she could have ice powers like Elsa.  I said you'd have to ask her that to which Cici responded, "Okay, but how do I get in the movie?"  I did not have an answer for that.

Did I say this would be quick?!

Today I organized all our stuff.  This was slightly exhilarating-to pack up things knowing we wouldn't need them in the next two weeks, to set out a razor and know that the next new one would be in my own bathroom!  I also did the garbages, two loads of laundry (Dear Dryer, I miss you very much!) and scoured a pan for what seemed like longer than the adoption process itself (Dear Non Stick Cookware, I love you so much and my life is just plain better with you in it!)  I also wrote out a shopping list for little man and for presents (have you been good this year?!)  And now I sit chatting with you, but you are very naughty because you do not post on facebook or email me in the middle of the day. I'm bored, pay attention to me!

Here's an odd thing.  This morning when I looked out at the empty lot across the street from us (the same one my friends the riot police peed in), I saw a pack of wild dogs.

Wait, what???!!!

First of all, why there is an empty lot in what has to be the most prime real estate in the city is beyond me-capitalism people, c'mon!  Second of all, many of you know that my poor trouble maker of a child is severely allergic and scared to death of dogs.  In fact, one of the oddest prayers has been that we not even see any while here!  We have seen some (they are always German Shepherds, apparently dogs are Germany's biggest import) but it has never been an issue.  And even this instance wasn't an issue either, Evelyn was still asleep and as Bard and I watched, some guy who appears to live in a shack on the empty lot (and who did a lovely rain dance last week when they were clearing Maidan and it was a thunder storm) came out with his water bottle and shooed them away.  They drifted through a hole in the fence that surrounds the lot and strolled up Mikhailovsky St, probably on their way to St Sophia's cathedral.

Dear Humane Society, I miss you most of all and pledge to give you a ton of money when I return, that is if I have any left after buying Spiderman Matroshka dolls and wooden souvenir maces.

Now I'm waiting for Bard and Evie to get back, hopefully Cici kicks off her remains of the plague today and no one else is stricken with it, at least for several months!  Then tomorrow we can go shopping for baby brother, borrow a crib, head to all the remaining museums-well-that will be over the next few days!

Since none of you have sent me any fun info yet, I think I'll go read my Bill Bryson book on Australia  I love that man.  I only allowed myself to bring one book-Baking Cakes in Kigali (absolutely excellent) and have just bought the one Bryson book on the Kindle.  So I've been hoarding my reading time, well until yesterday when I devoured four chapters :/  I do find it funny though that I'm in Europe, read a book on Africa and am reading one on Australia.  And, it now occurs to me that instead of reading, I could go back.

Off to The Island it is!

2 comments:

MamaStork said...

Glad everyone's doing a bit better.

I think it's funny there are so many German Shepherds in Ukraine. Around here, we're crawling with Huskies (well, and "purse dogs," but hey, it is Southern California). I suspect you're right about Germany's export, though, because big, stunning GSD's are common in Italy as well. I must know, are the Ukrainian German Shepherds slope-backed and hunched in the hind legs, or are they real, sturdy working stock? :P Fourth generation Shepherd owner must ask. ;)

Unknown said...

Spiderman matrishka doll!!!! Awesome. If you have room in your luggage for one more I'll buy it off you. HUGH would LOVE it for his birthday in 2 weeks!!!!! He plays with mine but probably shouldn't considering it has gold leaf on it!

Congrats on your little man. Can't wait to meet him.