Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Introducing for the First Time Ever...

Meeting Max
Maxim Everett Bard Luippold!

Maxim
This is his given name and our hope all along has been to keep his name the same.  Maxim is actually one of the names I was hoping for when we went to our first referral appointment!  The name means "Greatest" and I think nothing could fit him better. Whether born into poverty or riches, every child is precious, every child is valuable, and every child is full of beautiful potential.   Max had all those attributes before we adopted him.  We did not change who he was, he was already great.  But our hope is that by becoming part of our family maybe he will have a better chance at sharing that greatness with the world, and at the very least, we are thrilled that he will share it with us!  Max, you are the greatest son and the greatest baby brother that we could have hoped for!

Everett
When I was a very little girl, my grandpa was pushing me on the swing.  He asked if I knew how much he loved me.  When I replied, he said that there was someone who loved me even more and that was Jesus. It is my first memory of being aware that life was more than the world around us.  Something existed outside of us, bringing purpose, order, grace.  It was my first recollection of Love. As I grew older I saw my grandpa live out that love in how he served others-whether it was serving my grandmother by doing the dishes so she could sit and visit with us or serving his country by leading his tank unit to take Utah Beach on D-Day.  His name was Everett.  It means brave and could not possibly be more appropriate for describing one of my earliest heroes and now his little great grandson, who at 14 months has already faced many fears and will continue to fight through them,
carrying on the legacy of his family.

Bard
First family photo
Once upon a time there was a Dr, Samuel Bard, who happened to have a rather famous patient.  You may have heard of him, he was our first president.  His name and his story have been carried on through his family, right up to now and we will continue the tradition.  But I have to be honest (I cannot tell a lie) I do not give the name Bard to my son because of its cool background, even though as a historian, it thrills me to no end.  No, Max will carry the name to honor two far more important people, his grandmother and great grandmother.  Bard's grandmother Lisa "Lili" passed away not too long ago but in the short time I was privileged to know her, I was blessed.  Blessed to spend time with one of the most gracious people I have ever met. Blessed to bask in her generosity and always open arms welcome.  And blessed to sit at the feet of one of the greatest storytellers-she lived up to her middle name!  Bard's mom also has the middle name.  I should probably be disappointed that I will never be able to take  part in all the fun mother in law jokes, but I make the best of it ;)  I am constantly inspired by her grace and her heart, by her prayers, and by her compassion.  Max, feel free to grow up and be a doctor like your namesake, but if you take even a little of the heart of these two women, you will go far no matter what you do.  And you can do
anything.

As we were driving home from the orphanage (with three quick stops for passport photos and applications-and by quick I mean excruciatingly long), a wonderfully cheesy 80s song came over the radio.

Take my breath away
Take my breath away
My love, take my breath away
Cheesy or not I started to cry.  All the work, all the pain, all the stress, and now to sit in a car and look and my sleeping son, it takes my breath away.
First night meeting Max



9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so thrilled to meet Maxim! I have been praying and holding my breath! Hope to meet him very soon!!

Unknown said...

I am thrilled to finally meet Maxim. Cannot wait to see him in person.

Sara Sandefur said...

He's beautiful! So excited for you all!

Jamie M. said...

He is such a doll! I remember talking with your girls about their baby brother they where waiting for while I was pregnant with William, who happens to be just two months older then your little guy.

Melissa Moss said...

I am so happy for you guys! He is so adorable! Praying for all to go smoothly and can't wait to squeeze that little angel!

Shari Crumbaker said...

Very very happy for you guys! Congrats he is adorable!!

MamaStork said...

Oh, Kristen, I'm so happy for you!

Suzanne said...

. . . and now there's five!

Stephanie Nichols said...

OH Kristin! Great big huge congrats on this enormous step... He is finally 'legally' yours forever and for always!! I'm crying happy tears for you as I read your post :) This is all so realistic and close to home for me!
I know this has been such an emotional roller coaster ride, but hope you can hang on and enjoy the rest of the ride.. just a week to go and then you can get on a different ride and have fun all over again! ;-))) Your life will be so different, but glad it will be a good different eh?! HA
great big (((HUGS))) to you and your new complete family!
P.s. I wrote as soon as you posted the other day, but didn't go through so we'll see if this one takes :/