Sunday, August 17, 2014

But let me live, with my heart live

I love this city.

Me, the girls, Taraa Shevchenko
No, you're not reading a duplicate post :)  We just had such a lovely day it makes me thankful that we have had a once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy the beauty of another culture.

Today was Sunday, and although we have been trying to go to church on Sundays (which is quite an adventure!) what with moving and puking, and busying for the past week, we decided to take it easy today.  It was the first day in quite a while that we didn't have to pack snacks, activities, water, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, epi pen, sun block, baby brother's toys, camera, all three phones, passports, money, juice boxes, and a garbage bag and then rush out the door to spend two hours in a car.  And although all that is worth it and I would do more and do it again, I don't think I realized how draining it has been, especially in 92 degree weather.  Today was a brisk 75 degrees (both girls said they were cold) and we spent a leisurely  morning at the apartment before heading out around 11 to enjoy another experience on my bucket list.

One nice metro stop away was the Shevchenko Park, Museum, and University because as I have mentioned everything good in Ukraine, comes from Taras Shevchenko. Poet, artist, political figure extraordoinare, Shevchenko is regarded by Ukrainians as the Father of their cultural identity.  It was a beautiful walk through the park which not only has wonderful walkways, shaded grassy lawns, a great playground and fun street musicians, but much to my children's delight-and then frustration-pony rides, rentable mini cars, and a small carnival!  But I steadfastly ignored their cajoling and rounded the corner to my own carnival-his museum.

For once Trip Advisor led me astray because the two stars given to this museum are ridiculously uninformed.  The ground floor hosts a striking exhibit to the recent events at Maidan, against the backdrop of Shevchenko-known for his own political dissidence.  But the two floors above, featuring his life story and displaying a wealth of artifacts-his own and those from the 19th century-as well as an impressive collection of his poetry, writings, oil paintings, sketches, water colors, and furniture, are an absolute treasure.  Born a serf to an estate not too far from Kyiv, this man rose to astronomical heights, some during his time but even more impressively as his legacy which stretches across Ukraine and around the world-including a monument dedicated to him that can be found in Washington DC.

Except for the unfortunate moments when my daughter (no not that one, the other one) through a fit and was taken from the gallery then brought back and forced to apologize in Ukrainian to the curator, I was in heaven.  There's just not much else I'd like to do on a Sunday afternoon than take a stroll through a picturesque park, enjoy my latte from Urban Espresso, and dive into the world of a surprisingly brilliant literary and artistic giant.  And did I mention that the musician in the park was an incredibly talented electric guitar play who performed House of the Rising Sun while we sat on a bench and enjoyed ice cream?  Perfectly delightful.

Bard reads Shevchenko poems to the girls while they watch
Pharrell Williams.
After a bit of lunch (okay, that actually came before the ice cream and was eaten at a hilarious "Rock and Roll Café" complete with KISS décor and videos of Ricky Martin, Elton John, and Avril Lavigne playing in the background-I can't make this stuff up people.)  We walked back through the park and rested during the rest of the afternoon.  Well, they rested, I went and did some shopping-my biggest excursion on my own yet, but hey, those Seahawks Matroshka dolls aren't going to buy themselves!  And besides, I needed a jersey for the Dynamo Kyiv game we had bought tickets for tonight.

Just hanging with my new buddy, Lukman Haruna
Yes!  This was incredible!  A major team with world renown players and we not only went but sat first row, right behind the players' bench!  AND!! One of their mid fielders is injured so he watched the game from the stands-in the row next to us!  The stadium is absolutely beautiful, we had VIP seating, Dynamo Kyiv won the game, people in the subway were chanting all the way back home (side note, we are not really supposed to be out after dark, but we were with Roman and since they cleaned up Maidan there is such a huge police presence-at the game, both subway stops, and our street-we felt totally safe.)  It was just fantastic, a crazy cool experience and one that I'll never forget.

So, today satisfied my artistic and athletic side and was just fun all around.  The girls were chanting for Dynamo Kyiv all the way home (before falling asleep within ten minutes of laying down.)  I'm so glad they are with us and I'm very glad that I have had the opportunity to experience so much of my son's birth country.  It is not only an honor to be here, it's a joy.  Now, tomorrow we have a party at the orphanage to celebrate our last visit before the ten day waiting period is over and we can pick up our court decree.  Does it seem like life is speeding up to you?  It does to me!  I really don't even know what the date is, but let's mark it down as a good one :)
Next time, it will be the whole family :)

No comments: