Friday, August 22, 2014

Day Six Thousand and Nine

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitis, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
 
 
Why we're here :)
Okay, there was nothing cool about it but when Nikolai turned up everyone's favorite Eagles song I had to chuckle a bit (so as to avoid sobbing) at the irony.  We had a bit rougher night last night, 2 out of 3 children woke up 3 times-total.  Cecilia was having a nightmare (I think) and Max woke up hungry at 4:12 am-I know because even bleary eyed a mom can always tell the time so she can complain about it later!  As I mentioned, we haven't quite figured out his feeding, last night for his bottle he barely drank anything, hence the morning wake up call. Today I am buying a bottle and cutting open the nipple so we can feed him a thick porridge like his nannies did-which makes me a bad American parent but I am in Ukraine, so suck it.  No, really, please Max-you need to eat!  When we get home we'll figure out the best way to transition him.  I'm sure everything will be super calm and easy back in the States, after all, I have 5 whole days before school starts for both girls.
 
SILENT SCREAM!!!!!
 
 
Anyway, we were pretty tired this morning and had to leave early to get to our embassy appointment.  I don't know whether it was the lack of sleep, being gone for 5 weeks and 4 days, or the whole gambit of emotions running through me ever single second, but seriously when I saw the embassy building with its English writing and American flag waving in the wind, I just wanted to cry!  No waiting, we were in and out in 15 minutes.  However, at our appointment it was also confirmed that we get our passport on Tuesday which means visa and clearance on Wednesday, which means flying out on Thursday.  That is pretty much what we had been thinking but I had been holding onto a tiny glimmer of hope for Wednesday.  It's silly because so many others have ran into delays of weeks or months, but despite loving Ukraine, I just want to home.
 
 
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (any time of year) you can find it here
 
 
Totally unfair, but kinda hard to resist :)  So after the embassy Nikolai dropped the girls and I off at the apartment while he took Bard and Max to the clinic for his medical examination.  Let's use the word examination very loosely, and let's not use the word medical at all, sound good? Well at least the poor kid wasn't poked and prodded, after missing his morning snack and nap, that would hardly be fair.  He is sleeping soundly now, probably tired from making Dada walk all over, trying to dive out of his arms, and being what more than one babushka has already referred to as "activa."  Twenty four hours in 4 different airports and 3 different planes.  Yay.  Not sure why I am so ready for that experience!
 
It's been absolutely amazing to be here and there are even several more experiences that I am looking forward to before we leave.  I will treasure these memories for my entire life.  But even though we're now in the home stretch (ha!) and facing the smallest time frame we've had so far, it just feels like next Thursday will never come.  It will and then I will be confronted with aches of leaving - for my own attachments - but more so for those of my son. But that is next week and right now I'm a little stuck.
 
Maybe we will play some classic rock :)
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave! 
 
 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful boy! and a lovely FAMILY

MamaStork said...

Looks like we will be in the air at the same time -- but I'll be headed out of the US, and you will be headed home.