Friday, July 18, 2014

Wait for me, Wait for me

St Andrews church presides over the SDA.
 As I drove down a rural Ukrainian highway, lined with trees and full of muddy potholes, strains of Unchained Melody filtered over the radio.  Squished between 4 people in the back I rested my head against the seat as we sped away from my little Solnishko.

 
A long lonely time
Time goes by so slowly
Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
 Godspeed your love to me
 

A beautifully decorated children's room, a caring staff, bright colors, depressed area, country in the city. Hot. Nervous. Unsure. Real.
 
Love.
 
The girls dance in the rain while we wait for our papers.
I've blogged about my biological children's birth stories and in a weird but maybe expected kind of way, this was quite similar.  Unknown-we waited all morning to hear if we could go early to get our formal referral papers and then go to the orphanage.  The phone rang.  We could not get the papers early but could still go to the orphanage, the Dr and Director would wait for us there.
 
Hurry.  Hurry.  Hurry.
 
Wait.
 
Wandering in hallways and waiting.  I did that with my first delivery!  Watching my daughters sit and play on a dirty floor.  Okay, that was different. Finally at about 3:45 we went up stone stairs, sat at a desk and signed our names.
 
Hurry. Hurry.  Hurry.
 
Driving with a facilitator, a Spanish couple adopting from the same orphanage, and our two girls we wove in and out of rush hour traffic, dodging thunderstorms and lightening.  Turned down a rural highway that led to a rural road, and ended after being seemingly endless, in a rural orphanage.
 
Wait.
 
The Spanish couple was ushered into the visitation and a darling pink princess was waiting for them.  And now would wait no more.
 
We met with the Dr. and she reviewed his medical file with us.  Scary, expected, still scary, and confusing.  She was very helpful, seemed to know Solnishko, and  had a good understanding of his medical needs.  And just like the medical personnel in my labors, was both reassuring and unnerving at the same time!
 
Then back down the long hall, upstairs, childrens' rooms, baby buggies, painted murals, and back into the visitation room.
 
 
Lonely rivers sigh,
Wait for me, wait for me
I'll be coming home, wait for me.
 
The Director walked in carrying a little bundle of energy (look out mom of girls who like to sit still!)  Our family greeted him and he looked right down at Evelyn. Bard held him first (only fair-I got the other two!) and as Sol reached out and grabbed his face, the Director laughed and said he's never seen a man before.  Well little one, that was a great first impression. Just like with real birth as soon as I held him I felt such a sweet contentment and just wanted to hold him forever.  Unlike my newborns, he instantly squirmed and wanted to get down and play!
 
It's now past midnight and I have already loved him for immeasurable time. This road is going to be bumpy, long, painful.  But it's our road.  And finally, we're on it together.
 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! A miracle!