Wednesday, July 30, 2014

One of These Things is Not Like the Other



St Sophia, starting to feel familiar
Nothing to do with anything but it reminded me that on Saturday we tried to find a Russian/Ukrainian kids' show, something like Sesame Street, to help us all learn the language!  We had no luck with Russian (odd, right?) but found a German cartoon-that made sense-and more than one Arabic cartoon!  In fact a whole block of channels are Arabic even though I have not seen one single person of any kind of Middle Eastern ethnicity the whole time I've been here.  Weird. I'm going to try again for a kids show though, it's exactly the right level so I know it would help me!  We bought two toddler word books for little munchkin head (at the top level of the mall, whoops, remember I said only shop at the bottom level?!) and ironically they have helped Mama and Papa with what to say more than google translator!  Can't remember how to say bear, window, train, hand, shampoo, or uncle?  Quick, pull out your toddler book and look it up!

Awesome :)

We're really communicating fairly well.  Bard remembers more of the conversational dialogue than I do, but I am following along and unlike other trips to foreign countries when I've been so proud of my ability to ask a question only to fall, fall, fall, when the person answers with a string of gibberish, for the most part, we can muddle our way through what they are saying to us!  So yesterday I was thinking, you know, we're really living here, and it's okay.  Things are different, some better, some worse, but we are settling into a normalcy, a familiar, life. I felt pretty good.

Felt. Pretty. Good.

Past tense is just the worst of all tenses (especially in Russian where I still only know how to say maybe three verbs in the past!)

So this morning we had tears, gnashing of teeth, more tears, IwanttogobacktoAmericaImissmyfamilyintheUnitedStatesIdon'twanttobehereanymore!

:(

So we had some moments. I was frustrated because I felt like I've done extra to try and help the girls have fun-bought them treats, gone out to restaurants, eaten desserts, little presents, watched shows. But everything I gave them, they just wanted more, expected it, complained, demanded a different treat. In short, drove me crazy.

Sometimes, when we are out of sorts, we do not need anything special to feel better-although we may think we do-what we really need is to spend time with what's always been known to us.  To abide.

So this morning we danced around to worship music. Or, simply, worshiped.  Then this afternoon I sat with the girls and told them a story about who they are-princesses who are flying across the world to be with their prince-and then they each had their own quiet time.  Just like they would at home. Connection time. Familiar time. I think we will have a better day!

And what about that little prince? I am hoping to hear today that our papers were filed correctly with the SDA and then we wait for so and so and such and such to sign off on all the trees from the rain forest so we can find out a court date.  But, we had a lovely visit with him yesterday.  We were inside and he was much more active and talkative!  He's been fighting a bit of a cold and seemed to be feeling better-because he told us what for, how much, and just so. And, the Director, who is a wonderful lady, gave us permission to extend our visits, by just a half hour, but that's perfect.  So today we had a fun visit outside.  We went on the swings, set the blanket with toys on the grass (it wasn't 90 degrees yet so the shade was nice), danced to Daddy's iPhone, and played post office.  A game that involved the girls taking turns being the postal carrier and bringing baby brother all sorts of packages (toys from the Doma-house) and letters (leaves that I let Evelyn write on with my pen.)

My fearless adventurer!
Now we've had a calm afternoon, let the heat peak, and are going to head out for some errands. We want to make a photo album, buy me a new purse, and find a can opener so we can have beans with our fajitas tonight for dinner. All of that will be one stop shopping at our favorite store-you guessed it, the Subway! Since every time we leave the door, it's an adventure, I'm glad we're not ending the day the way it started-let the adventure begin!

No comments: