Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ukraine is not weak!

This morning I sent Bard to check on the girls...
Sigh.  Well our bathroom floor is very clean.  And I am a terrible mopper so that's not a good thing :/  No hot water this morning and after speaking to more than one team member and trying a couple things, it looks like I'm washing my hair in cold water tomorrow.

Shudder.

Funny because last time I did that I was in Russia, barely 500 miles from where I am at now.  Of course that was after they had tried to burn my arm off so I should be grateful. . .funny story. . .

Today was actually great, oily hair aside. We had a wonderful visit with little man who has turned into quite a chatterbox (I am clearly not meant to have quiet children!)  We played outside with him, showed him our family picture album-he promptly chewed on it, obviously communicating his approval, and had a much more relaxed visit (read, I did not have to carry my child screaming from the room-someone is preparing to be a middle child!)

Ya Babushka!
I was also screaming inside my head because I am currently attempting-and failing-to speak in four languages. I am actually good at languages.  Well.  I was.  The Spanish couple we have spent time with does not speak any English.  I had four years of Spanish-same as Russian-and am now learning Ukrainian phrases.  Today was better than yesterday-sort of-many times the phrases for both languages came back to me simultaneously and this time I was about 75% likely to remember which one was Russian and which one was Spanish.  But I can't count how many times I said "Da" when I meant "Si" and am now fairly sure I will utterly confuse my poor son-not to mention my two daughters who are now going around Ukraine thanking people by oh so politely saying, "Gracias."

Ha!

I mean, Ay yay yay.

I mean, Shutka!

Anywho.  (That's my own language) We also visited Saint Sophia, the most famous landmark in Kyiv, although we didn't go in, we'll do that next time, finally took the kids to McDonalds, and bought fun things like water at the SuperMarket (please read that with a Russian accent.)

Saint Sophia's
Not a bad day except at the end of our visitation Bard's steps grew ever slower as he went to hand little man over and I was fighting back tears.  Then in the car Cici asked where her brother was and I had to explain again that we have to leave him at the orphanage for now.

For now.

But now is going to be quite a while and if it gets harder daily, we're in for it. I wonder if the orphanage is hiring live in ballet teachers.

We feel blessed, tired, more settled, and more tired.  We miss everyone and can't wait to bring our little guy home.  As Evelyn put it, "All babies are cute, but he is the cutest!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Si! I mean da! Oy. I could throw some Swedish in there if you'd like. And I was wondering about how Cici was doing. ;-) So, a chatterbox eh? Perfect!!! Praying for you guys as you get to know him better and go through the heart wrenching waiting and hoping. Love you to the moon and back. And yes, he is the cutest. Little Solnishko, we are loving you and waiting for you.

traci fredricks said...

Love this Kristin. Praying for your family. And missing "Candy" this week. :)