Saturday, October 4, 2008

Catch Up, Part Two

Okay, so here is part two of my marathon blog catch up! See below if you want to read part one, which I know you do because who wouldn't want to read about Evelyn?!

As some of you know, a week ago Wednesday we made the last minute decision to fly down to California. We knew it would be a very crazy whirlwind of four days preparing to fly with a 6 month old, taking time off our jobs, and getting the house ready, but we figured we could get through it. So the first day after we bought our tickets, she came down with a cold. I couldn't believe it, I'm exclusively breast feeding-she is not supposed to get sick! but get sick she did and by Friday morning I was on the phone with the nurse to ask about flying with her being stuffed up. The nurse said it would increase her chance of getting an ear infection, but if she was nursing or taking a bottle during take off and landing, she should be fine. So we went on-after putting a humidifier in her room, elevating the head of her crib so she wasn't flat on her back, and beginning the daily ritual of sucking mucus out of her nose-an experience that is less than pleasurable.

The next day the cat got sick. Now some of you know that I've had this cat for years and got him during a hard time in my life so I'm pretty attached to him. You also may know that he seems to like to get urinary tract infections at the most inconvenient times. So, Bard went down to the basement to get his carrier so we could take him to the vet. And discovered that the washer had broke and flooded our basement. I know. I had a huge work training the next day that I was trying to get ready for, and we were flying out in two days. Bard also had a very stressful work situation come up and we were both trying to deal with that added pressure. Fortunately after a laugh and a cry with some good friends, I was reminded that with Christ I am "more than a conqueror" (Romans 8:37) and that I may be "hard pressed on every side, but not crushed" (2 Corinthians 4:8). So, we went on.

The training went well, I had left at 8:30am on Sunday morning, got home around 5pm and then started to get everything ready to fly out the next morning. Josh picked us up and we got to the airport without a hitch. Everything went well and Evelyn did great on the airplane. The flight attendants loved her and she slept well at the airport and on the plane, taking a bottle for take off and landing. Whew! Although, I do have one little poop story for you! So halfway through the flight I took her back to change her diaper. Which is fun to do in the world's smallest bathroom. She was a little poopy, which was fine. I cleaned her, put a new diaper on and stood her up to go back to our seats. She promptly spit up on me and the bathroom floor (it is not easy to bend over in a tiny bathroom while holding a squirmy grabby six month old). I cleaned that up, stood up again, and heard the unmistakable sound that tells me we have another poopy diaper to change. She smiled at me. The funniest thing is that my mom has very similar story about me potty training on an airplane. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. . .

Our first afternoon in Californian she did fine, she met her Aunt Genevieve and Grandpa David for the first time. She also got to see Grandee (Bard's mom) again and meet Grandpa Steve. Then came nighttime. She woke up absolutely screaming. I can't remember her ever waking up like that and by the time Bard and I got her calmed down, we were exhausted. Unfortunately for me she proceeded to wake up ever few hours for the remainder of the night. Morning came and I felt like I had been run over by a train. How did I do this for weeks after she was born? Unfortunately again, Bard had to go into the California office that day. The poor little thing was just not herself all day. On the plus side, she is so mellow and good natured that it was probably hard to tell that she didn't feel well. But I know my little girl normally smiles and laughs at everything, talks up a storm and generally has enough energy to solve our dependency on foreign oil (oops a little politics popping in there!) She had her first ferry ride, which normally would have fascinated her, but she was pretty quiet. I know, no daughter of mine is normally quiet! She also didn't nap as well, which was too bad for me cause I could have used a nap!

However, by evening she seemed to be doing better and we had a family dinner with Grandpa Steve's two daughters, who both have children just a little older than Evelyn. So that was nice and I had high hopes about sleeping Tuesday night! She did great and Wednesday was much more her normal self. Still pretty stuffy, but in general happy and chatty like normal. The weather was beautiful and she especially enjoyed nice walks with Grandee where she tried very had to put all sorts of pretty leaves and flowers in her mouth. She also became friends with Grandee's and Aunt Gen's dogs, which I think was her first time ever seeing a dog. She wanted very much to grab and poke them!

Wednesday we had dinner with Grandpa David, Bard's Dad, as well as Evelyn's great grandmother (Great Gam) and Aunt Gloria, Aunt Susan, Uncle Kevin and cousin Hobie, who were all seeing Evelyn for the first time. And we discovered something. Evelyn Joy can work the crowd. (Yes I can hear all of your smart aleck comments about where she got that from!) We sat her down at the table and she just went to town. She looked around at everyone, smiling, laughing, and squealing with joy! It was hilarious. Bard and I just looked at each other and said, "uh oh!"

The next day we were able to have just a bit more time visiting with family before flying out. Everything went fine at the airport but as we settled in our seats, I smelled something rather disturbing. I asked the flight attendant if I had time to change her. She said and I quote "Well, we're trying to get going but if you want me to hold the flight I will." I know. Now, as many of you know I don't do well with challenges like that, but for Bard's sake I just gave her the look (you know the one) and sat back. however, after three minutes had passed and we weren't taking off. I picked my daughter up, marched to the back of the plane, looked the flight attendant in the eye and said "If you have to hold the flight then that's fine but I'm changing my daughter!" She was lucky to get off with just that! Imagine, telling me to have my baby sit in filth for the next half hour! Sheesh : ) Anyway. I changed her and sat down. And then, they made the announcement about turning off electronic devices. And then they did the safety demonstration. And then, 25 minutes after I had been told I would hold up the flight, we started taxiing. I know. Well, my slight conniption fit aside, the flight went fine, Evy slept again and was happy to smile and laugh at everyone who walked by us on their way off the plane. We got home safely and she went to sleep, sleeping well through the night, all of us glad to have visited family but happy to be home again!

Stay tuned for part three. . . oh yes, there is more!

No comments: