Thursday, October 9, 2008

Catch Up, Part Three. . .Three Doctors

Oh my gosh. I don't even know what happened to the last week, it's all a blur! So after we got home from Cali Thursday night, Evelyn was still pretty stuffed up, but slept well that night. Friday she was okay, but Friday night was awful, she was up all night : ( So, Saturday morning since she had been sick nine days, I decided to call the Dr. They said that was pretty long since she is so little, so they had me bring her in. Then, I couldn't believe it, but the Dr said she had an ear infection! I hated it. I've tried to make all these good choices to help her stay healthy and not get sick, and of course it was our choice to fly knowing that put her at greater risk for an infection, but still, I was pretty frustrated. So, we were both out of sorts all day. She had to go on antibiotics which was even more sad for me cause I don't like the idea of her being on medicine when she is so little. We kept her pretty much quarantined for several days, figuring that the rest would help. She had her 6 month appointment in the midst of this, which I attended by myself for the first time since Bard couldn't take off work. I decided I like it better when he is there! But by Wednesday she didn't seem better, and in fact was acting worse! She was up all night, cried when she took her bottle (sucking puts pressure on her ears which hurts) and was constantly pulling at her poor little ear. So, I called the Dr again. They told me to bring her in Thursday morning, so we went in the middle of her nap time. She was a trooper though and stayed fine up until about 9:45 (45 minutes after she normally goes down) then she started to lose it a bit and fell asleep in my arms five minutes before the Doctor came in to check her out. Thankfully the Dr said both her ears were looking good and that she was probably extra sensitive because our weather just changed and the pressure drop hurts their ears, especially when they already have an infection. Who would have thought? She also told us to try giving her ibuprofen-she is just now old enough-because that is anti inflammatory and helps better than just tylenol. At this point my desire for some peace and rest (and for my daughter to feel better!) is outweighing my discomfort at giving her more drugs. She did pretty well the rest of the day, but was definitely fussy in the evening, so we tried the ibuprofen when we put her down. I don't know if it worked or not-she still woke up, but not as much as before. Still, four times is four times too many! I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get a good night's sleep again, it seems like this has been going on forever. (Kind of like this blog!) Anyway, it's now Friday, she has been on the medicine for almost a week. I figure I'll give her til Sunday night and if she is still waking up I'm going to lock myself downstairs and sleep where I can't here her and just see what happens. Doesn't it seem like everything happens at once? Both Bard and I have a ton of job stress, she has been sick, fussy, and not sleeping, which means I'm not sleeping, which means all other stress is compounded. What a viscous circle. Oh well, at least I don't bank at Wachovia or have life insurance through AIG : )

2 comments:

Sara Sandefur said...

It's nothing you did - most kids start getting sick around 6 months as the antibodies they inherited from you die off. They have to make their own. Making their own = healthy baby later. Ear infections are super normal because of the shape of their head. And they're rarely caused by bacteria, so the antibiotics aren't going to do anything but give her a tummyache. I'm not sure why your Dr would have prescribed them when the CDC's been raising such a fuss over it. She'll get better and you'll get some rest soon.

Kristin said...

Thanks Sara, yeah I wondered about the whole antibiotics things cause I know they're way over prescribed for ear infections. The Dr said if she were one or older she wouldn't have prescribed them, it's just cause she is so little. But if she gets another one, we'll see. . .
Maybe I'll sleep when she's in college!