Sunday, May 4, 2014

Small But Feisty

Why yes, I bought my own shirt and still have it!
Years ago my parents took us to Disney World, as adults, which is way more fun.  I was walking along, behind my brother and sister in law, when their heads swiveled in the direction of t-shirt wearing teenager. They looked at me and I looked at them and we all had the same thought, "Kristin must have that shirt."

I may have developed somewhat of a reputation over the years :)

One of the strange things about having children-and there are many- is that you learn more about yourself through growing up with them.  The good, the bad, and the feisty!  Bard and I learned early on that Cici was a "feeler."  She simply feels things more, longer, stronger, than other kids around her.  And don't you dare try to distract her from what she is feeling or she will throw that cupcake in your face.  No, really.  Her passions run deep, whether they are the constant demand to be called "Princess Cat", or the forbidden uttering of any number other than "3 for Cici!" (Don't try to state the time unless it includes the number three!) Evelyn may be a force, but she is mellow.  One would not describe my second child as mellow!

Right now, probably due to the fact that she is three years old, her passion is mostly directed at herself and bringing an adorable yet deadly interpretation to Frank Sinatra's classic. . .

Yes there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more, than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall,
And did it my way

Evelyn loves people and will thrive on leadership in many ways.  But sometimes she can love people a little too much, and that is going to be a thorn for her as she grows older and is confronted with more complicated choices than what to do at recess, play "Frozen" or swing by herself.  Cici will lead, and hopefully others will follow, but she'll need to remember to look back and see if they're still with her!  She won't care nearly as much what others think and her passion will call people to her while also driving them away.  It can be lonely.

For what is man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows-
And did it my way!

My hope is that she remembers her humor along the way.  For Cici, tears of anger come quickly, but shrieks of laughter can follow soon after.  And with laughter, grace sneaks in.  Grace for herself and grace for others. Bard and I strive to live a life that is outside ourselves.  We would not be here without the countless people who poured into our lives.  So it's our turn and I want more than anything for my children to live in the world. Surrounded by darkness but sharing the light.

Cici will often pray, "Dear Jesus, thank you for getting my baby brother.  Please get him RIGHT NOW!" And her voice may sound like a chirpy little bird but the attitude and strength behind it is more like a roaring lion!  She is not quick to jump in but will often observe her surroundings before tentatively dipping a toe in to test the water. You may know her for weeks before knowing that she can talk sentences around most other three year olds, has learned her letters and the sounds they make, and is trying to start reading and writing (she will sit forever, focused on carefully writing out "Cici.")  She will dance more, snuggle longer, and fight faster than her older sister. But to discover all the little facets of her personality you're going to have to observe her more than she is observing you. 

Which makes me wonder, what kind of big sister will she be?  Evelyn will mother the child, get bored, come back, care for him, help him-do things for him-and run off again.  But I might be able to learn about this little boy from watching what Cici learns about him.  She thinks we should name him "Harry" and that he'll have brown eyes like her.  She wants to give him his own "Silkie Bear"-her most prized possession and said she'll teach him to talk.  A little while ago when a plane flew over our house, she asked if it was the plane going to get her brother. And very few days go by without her asking, no demanding, when we can get on a plane and go get him, "I want to go get my baby bwudder RIGHT NOW!"

So do I baby girl, and he is very lucky to have such a wonderful older sister protecting him. She may look like a little fairy but she is feisty on the inside and will fight for him because he is family. Our family.  

1 comment:

MamaStork said...

Awww! I hope her baby brother hurries home quick!