Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dealing with **^&(*@#!

So this morning Cici was sleeping and I had to leave to take Evelyn to her little preschool class. Cici had just eaten and doesn't normally fall asleep after she eats-she normally sleeps a bit later-so I didn't feel too bad waking her and figured she would just fall asleep again in the car if she was that tired. We got to school and I put Cici in the moby wrap to walk Evelyn in. (Every time it's a struggle whether to carry her on my own-and not have free hands for Evelyn, go through the hassle of the moby, or carry her in her car seat which is awkward and uncomfortable. I have yet to find a winning option!) She was fussy in the moby, which is unusual and then started crying while I was in Evelyn's classroom. By the time I had gotten Evelyn's coat off and was signing her in, we were at full on scream. The teacher offered to let me nurse her in a side room, but I knew she had just eaten and figured she was just angry at being woken up. We got back to the car and she just let loose. This kid was mad! I had been planning on making a stop or two on the way home (one to get a latte because the morning had already started off wrong) but just drove straight home with my ears ringing. By the time I pulled up in front of the house I was thoroughly frustrated. Why on earth was she screaming?! Why couldn't I have a normal child that fell asleep in her carseat?! I got inside and pulled her out of her seat, saying, "What is wrong with you?!" She kept crying even while I was holding her, which was also unusual, so I decided to check her diaper. As soon as I unwrapped her blanket I could smell something less than sugar and spice. She had experienced her first major blowout. There was poop through both onesies, on her pants, down her leg and in her sock. She screamed. She has had a diaper rash for two weeks now and parts of her skin are actually raw. I got her cleaned up and she calmed down right away. The poor thing had been uncomfortable and in pain and trying to let me know the only way she knew how. Of course I felt terrible for getting so frustrated with her and also saw a good lesson in all that poop. When someone is acting out of the ordinary, maybe giving you a harder time than usual or just being plain frustrating, don't get upset right away. They could be dealing with a lot of &^*#) that you don't even know about!

No comments: