Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Week of Firsts



One of the amazing aspects of having a newborn is how many firsts you experience. Here are this week's:



  1. Her belly button stump finally fell off so she got to have an actual bath! She liked it but screamed when we took her out cause it was cold and then pooped on the towel. That's my girl!

  2. She had her first bottle a week ago-and did great. I was worried about bottle feeding and breast feeding, but it seems to be going fine and I can't even begin to express how great it is to know that someone besides me can feed her. That means I can be gone longer than an hour!

  3. I cut her finger nails for the first time. I was terrified that I would cut off part of her finger too! But she still has all ten so I must have done okay : )

  4. We checked her into our church nursery for the first time. I'm not sure how much of the sermon I heard since I was constantly wondering how she was doing and watching for her number to come up on the screen as a page for me to come get her. It didn't-I'm just paranoid-she did fine and slept the whole time.

  5. The very same day we both left her for the first time and went out for cofffee-she stayed with my parents. Again-this made possible by the bottle. She was a bit fussy but again, did fine.

There are probably more, but even that seems like a big week to me! It's funny how many of her firsts I was worried about-and still am worried about. I think part of it is just natural worrying that a mom is going to do. But I know another part of it is me just needing to relax and let what is going to happen, just happen. I'm so used to order, scheduling, and yes, the "c" word-control. It might kill me to learn this, but there is no way that I can control her. She eats when she wants, sleeps when she wants, fusses when she wants, and yes, poops when she wants. And my worrying about how she is going to do or about getting something done only serves to make myself frustrated. That frustration is magnified by sleep deprivation and leads me to think that I only want one child because this is so incredibly hard. It is hard, but I think my attitude can make it even worse. So, maybe one of next week's firsts will be me letting go. And probably, so will the following week's. : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a big week - Evelyn's first bath - yay! That cute little poopy girl! I'm so glad she takes the bottle well. And boy does she! Grandma's finger just was not doing the trick yesterday. She definitely has a good sucking reflex. Yeah, that whole finger nail cutting thing is just scary at first. Good job mommy! And yes, letting go is a contiuing process. No matter how old she is (say, 30), you want everything to be perfect for her, and you will still have to keep giving her to the good and loving Lord. :-) I think that's one of the things God wants to teach us through having children - the habit of continually trusting Him with those we love and just being so thankful for them in the moment. Whew!

Sara Sandefur said...

Way to go! You're doing great. If you have a whole passel of kiddos you'll forget all about that whole c word because you won't remember what it felt like. :-)
I just washed their hands and chewed their nails off while they were sleeping. Maybe it's gross, but it's a lot less stressful.