Monday, May 26, 2008

Crib first!


I can't believe I forgot one of her biggest firsts! Last week she slept in her crib-in her room-for the first time! Her room is right across the hall from us, practically connected, but still, it was a huge move. It came about for several reasons. One, she actually was starting to grow out of her moses basket and it was getting a little hard to put her in and take her out. That seems crazy to me because when we first put her in it I remember thinking how small she looked and that wasn't too long ago. The second reason for her move was her noises. Everyone loves the cute little noises she makes while she sleeps, darling coos, little growls and grunts, and gentle sighs. I love those noises too, they're absolutely adorable and I know that when she stops making them, I'll miss them. However, at three am they wake me up! Typically she starts making little noises for about a half hour before she actually fully wakes up and wants to eat. But I wake up at her first gurgle and then lay there in a state of semi consciousness pretty much just waiting for her to wake up so I can feed her and then go back to sleep. I held out for seven weeks before that just got to be too much. So, a few nights ago I laid her down in her crib and then stood back and watched her (she was asleep). I walked to the door and then stood there for a few more minutes. Then I walked to our bedroom door and stood there for a few more minutes. Then I looked at Bard for empathy. He was reading in bed, seemingly oblivious to our daughter's big milestone. I walked back to her room (two steps). Then I came back to our room. Then I sighed so he would know to respond-that always works! In the end she slept just fine in her crib and after three days I took the moses basket and put it in her closet, thinking how sad and lonely that corner looked now. Bard was actually touched by that too (don't let him deny it!) So now our daughter sleeps in her crib in her own room like the big 8 week old she is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a big girl! Good for you Evelyn! Everything about growing up will be bittersweet for mommy and daddy, but every age has its wonder and sweetness. :-)

Sara Sandefur said...

Wow, she's growing up so fast! Hopefully you'll get a little more sleep with her across the hall. More firsts to come...