Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mothers



Sheesh, it's to find time to post when you have a newborn! Anyway, last week was very special for us because Bard's mom and Grandma were able to come visit, seeing Evelyn for the first time! They were only here four days but the whole time was wonderful; full of so many special moments. I have to say I was a bit nervous because I knew we would be doing a lot and I've been trying to take it easy-you know, sleep when the baby sleeps and all that. I was also nervous about how Evelyn would do, if she would be fussy or get upset by doing so much and being thrown off her regular routine. My fears, as usual, never materialized and everything went great. We were able to spend such meaningful time with Bard's family, we didn't overdo it, and Evelyn was an angel. I was so touched by how thoughtful Bard's mom and grandma were with understanding how I needed rest and not wanting me to do too much, but of course, why should I be surprised? They are moms too!


Their second day was very special because we got together with my mom and two grandmas-so 3 of Evelyn's 4 grandmas (we missed you Lili!), both of her grandmas, and, of course her mom! We took tons of pictures and I hope that when she gets older she will treasure the pictures as much as I treasure the actual experience.


Also while they were here it was my first Mother's Day and I loved it. Bard gave me a beautiful diamond necklace, yes diamond-go Bard! But the best present of course is my baby girl and although she literally drives me crazy sometimes and I want to scream in frustration and exhaustion, I can't believe such an amazing and beautiful baby is mine. Sometimes when I'm holding her she just gazes up at me with these big eyes, almost like she is drinking me in and I never want the moment to end.


On Mother's Day we had Evelyn dedicated at our church, which was just a beautiful and exciting experience. We don't do infant baptisms, believing that children need to grow and make choices for themselves regarding a relationship with Jesus, but the dedication is a time where family and friends gather and pledge to support the child and parents. Our church has had a baby boom recently so we dedicated 11 children! It was great and so wonderful that Bard's grandma and mom could be here for the ceremony. Evelyn had so much family show up that we filled an entire row-she is very loved!


Afterward we had a great brunch at our house-15 people! But everyone pitched in so I really did not do too much at all and it was just a great time of visiting and friendship. I know I've said this before, but I'm so lucky to be surrounded by such a great group of people who are supporting me. I can't imagine being more blessed.


It was a great weekend, I'm so lucky to have such wonderful in laws (and a special hello and thank you to Miriam's bridge group who are loving Evelyn from California too!) Part of me is sad that his family is far away, but part of me thinks that will be special in a different way for Evelyn, that every time she is with his family will be so meaningful because it won't be the norm and that has its own unique value and meaning.

No comments: