Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Back to Work!


Well, last week was my first week back at work and it went great! The first day I had an issue with childcare and had to juggle several things around to make it work, but I have a feeling that is just the way it is with kids-flexibility. It felt wonderful to be back, overwhelming at times because of needing to catch up on so much and odd since there is a lot I don't know. But overall it was really fun and I enjoyed seeing everyone again-in that setting-and starting to brainstorm and plan out ideas for what I will work on. My focus is going to return to children's ministry. As many of you know, last year I went to full time and my job was to oversee all the volunteers of our church-hospitality, kids, set up, worship, etc. I worked a lot on putting structure into place, creating teams with leaders and a clear chain of command so that everyone was cared for and communication was clear. While that was great, I'm only working part time now, so I will just be directing the kids volunteers, which make up about half of the volunteers. With that job comes a lot of event planning-camps, parties, holidays, so it will keep me pretty busy.


Evelyn seemed to do well with the transition, a little too well actually! I've been most worried about how she would nap, because she kept needing to be rocked to sleep and wouldn't sleep very long if she wasn't being held. So, the day before I started work, imagine my surprise when she just fell asleep on her own and slept for over an hour! She has done that for a week now; we can put her in her crib and she goes to sleep just fine, usually sleeping an hour or an hour and a half. The first time she did it I was elated and felt so free. The second time I was sad because she didn't need me to rock her to sleep anymore and I can't believe how fast she is growing up. Crazy, huh?! So I still rock her to sleep sometimes : ) A few of the days it seemed like I was away from her a lot-three hours, then home for a few, then away another three hours. But that won't be the norm, and even so I just treasured the time when I did come home and hold her, it felt so precious.


Sunday was my first time back helping at church, so I left early and Bard brought her. Then he took her home while I stayed a little longer. That was weird too because I felt like my focus was divided. Normally on Sundays I'm so focused on my job, but this Sunday of course I was wondering how Bard was doing with her (it was the first time he has left the house with her by himself!) and then how she was doing in the nursery, and then how she was doing when they went home. Someone once told me that having a child is like having a piece of your heart walk around on the outside of your body. I've never heard a truer statement.


All in all it was a good week. I think the balance worked perfectly and I'm excited to see how this week turns out. I feel so blessed. I have a wonderful husband, a beautiful home, an absolutely adorable and amazing baby, a great support network of friends and family, and a job that I love, but one that doesn't take me away from everything else too much. What else can be said?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Mommy and Evelyn! Yay Daddy! I'm glad things went so well. :-) I loved that comment that having a child is like having a piece of your heart walk around on the outside of your body. What a true statement. That seems to be one of the ways God grows our hearts.