Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sick, Snuggly, and Sad

I just lost a whole week of my life. It really reminded me of when she was a newborn and time had no real meaning.

Last Sunday Evelyn woke up from nap with a fever, and then had that fever ALL week. At first I thought it was just more issues from her molars coming in. We stayed home all day Monday but then her and I both woke up in the middle of the night feeling sick. Well, I was feeling sick, I'm guessing she felt sick because she wouldn't stop crying : ( Tuesday morning was an all time low because she was in bed with me and wouldn't stop crying, so I just gave up and joined her. We both got up and all morning she just sat on my lap. My daughter is normally way too busy to snuggle, so this was unheard of. I read to her and we watched Elmo on Sesamestreet.org, which, since she never gets to sit and watch for more than a few minutes, was crazy! But after a while she was ready to move around and I wasn't, so I called Bard home from work

I don't remember much else of Tuesday, but Wednesday morning she woke up at 3:30am with a 103 fever, the highest she has ever had. We called the Dr, since it had been more than 2 days and then called him back an hour later after giving her motrin and having it go up! Fortunately I felt better that day and motrin and tylenol brought her fever down. I took her to the Dr Thursday morning and they discovered that she her throat was irritated and after a whole day process of getting a urine sample, that she had a bladder infection too.

We were both exhausted and cranky. Much of the time she just sat in my lap and read or watched Elmo clips. If she fell down, she cried, if she wanted something, she cried, if she was tired, she cried. I had been cooped up in the house for four days, I should have been the one crying! Our second trip back to the Dr on Thursday, to get another urine bag put on so they could try and get a sample, I had just about had it. She barely napped because she woke up with horrible diarrhea (hence the new bag!) and I was so drained. On top of it all, I had been rear ended last week and my back was killing me-advil and a heat pack did nothing and carrying her just made it worse. I was rushing her in to the Dr's office, she was crying because she wanted me to carry her and I was irritated. But when I lifted her on to the examining table for the nurse to check her out, she was so quiet and vulnerable that I just wanted to scoop her up and protect her from anything and everything.

Sometimes the hardest part about being a parent is remembering that you are the parent and that she is just a small child.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Aw...poor Kristin and Evelyn!

I know Evelyn is feeling better now, but my heart broke when I read this. I love you both!

Sara Sandefur said...

So sad. I'm glad you're both feeling better!!!