Friday, September 11, 2009

Proud of Dada

I had a blog ready to post today about Evelyn falling and skinning her knee, but when I remembered it was 9/11, that somehow didn't seem to fit right.

Like everyone else I remember exactly where I was when 9/11 happened 8 years ago. But, fortunately it was not as traumatic or emotional for me because I didn't know anyone who was there or personally affected. That changed when I met Bard. He doesn't talk a lot about this, but since he doesn't read our blog, I can brag on him : )

Bard was working in New York when 9/11 occurred. In fact, he was working on Wall Street at the World Trade Center. He wasn't at the twin towers, the WTC is actually a huge complex and he was at one of the other buildings. However, his building was so heavily damaged that it was later condemned and they moved the company to a new location.

Bard was late for work that morning (no surprise there!) and actually should have been in the complex when the planes hit. As it was he was on the subway, preparing to get off at the stop underneath the twin towers. The stop that was destroyed when the towers collapsed. The train driver heard that something had happened and was told not to make that stop, so everyone was a bit surprised when the train zoomed by the station and went to the next stop. Bard had heard something about a plane but didn't think it was too big of a deal til he got out and started walking toward his work. I'm sure you have all heard the reports and can imagine the chaos that surrounded him.

I do not write this to share with you all the details of what he did, instead I want to share who he is. It will not surprise any of you that he was a hero that day. Instead of running, he stayed to help the people around him. He gave water to those in need and assisted in any way he could, risking his own health to be there for total strangers.

Matthew 25: 37-4o "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I worry so much as a parent. Is she eating the right food? Am I disciplining her enough, too much, and in the right way? What should we do about school? All those issues fall away when I remember that she is learning the most important lesson of all, from her very own father. Compassion. Helping those in need. Love for others that spills out because of God's love for us. Evelyn is more fortunate and blessed than many other children around the world-her father is a hero in every sense of the word, because of what he does but mostly because of why he does it.

No comments: