Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Hampshire


Culture is a funny thing. Since most of my undergrad and postgrad work was spent analyzing culture (not ours-Russia and Europe's!), I have to admit that a little bit of my academia still affects me. Since this was my third time in New Hampshire with Bard, I think I am starting to get a feel of the culture there-both of the area and of his family. One of my professors once described culture as that which affects our choices when we don't even realize that we have made a choice. I really like that and have stuck with it-maybe one of these days I'll get back to the lovely world of academia, but until then you are all just stuck with my wandering thoughts that have no place else to go!

New Hampshire's state motto is, "Live free or die" that right there, and the fact that they do not have a law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets should tell you something pretty big about their culture. Two words. Let's go with "Back off!" They really seem to like things they way they are. Although dependant on tourism, they have responded to it very differently than neighboring Vermont (which we drove through to go visit Bard's other grandparents in Albany New York.) They will not cater to tourists and in fact, while taking their money, seem to resent their influx. Status quo rules. Small community, a focus on nature and the arts, and the importance slowing down.

Bard's family definitely fits into this culture and I learn more about what that means each time we visit with them. Is it art imitating life or life imitating art? Who knows, but the best part is that with each visit I get little glimpses and say to myself, Ahh, now I understand! It's amazing how much our families and upbringing influence us from big things like how Bard was brought up in this beautiful environment which instilled in him a deep appreciation for the outdoors. To small and comical aspects such as the fact that Bard's odd habit of leaving kitchen and bathroom cupboard doors open drives me crazy so I almost die laughing (on the inside) when I see that his grandpa does the same thing! How great is that?!

We are like sponges, we soak up the environment around us. So hopefully it is a good environment that we are taking in-which of course is our job as parents. And I'm excited for Evelyn to take in New Hampshire. After all, it's in her blood.

No comments: