Saturday, June 6, 2009

Stupid test!

See, I told you I was back! See May pics at right.

As many of you know, today Bard is taking the second in his three year series to complete his CFA. When he took the last test, in June of '08, Evelyn was just 2 months old and so naturally it was quite straining for him to study for several hours every morning and evening. This time she is asleep while he is studying so instead of getting stressed I play Tetris or watch Third Rock from the Sun (this probably surprises most of you who assume I would be reading during this time. I would but am slightly cut off from reading as I've bought too many books and need to hold off as well as unfortunately running up a fine on my library card-sad for me!)
Anyway, just like last time this test has been a huge commitment for us. One, it's hundreds of dollars just to sign up and get the curriculum, two, Bard has been studying pretty much ever day since January, three the test is all day-he leaves at 7am and is home at 7pm, four we don't get the results until August, and five if he didn't pass he can't retake until June of next year. Typically it takes someone 4 years to complete the three year test series because it's very rare that someone actually passes each test on the first try.

But, if anyone can do it, Bard can. It amazes me to watch him prepare for these exams (that is when I'm not annoyed that he isn't taking out the garbage!) He is SO disciplined. Now, you know I'm a fairly disciplined person myself, but I would never have the discipline to study from 5-7 in the morning and 7-10 in the evening almost every day for weeks at a time. Or to carry flashcards with me and mumble algebraic equations under my breath wherever I go. He is just plain smart.

Evelyn has already started showing a lot of who she will become. So far she is definitely advanced in her verbal skills and has what we call a lot of personality : ) She is an extrovert; very social, and independent. She is cautious when she first tries a new physical act but then dives right in. She really seems to love going new places and seeing new people and is very excited every time we do so. Being in the car for too long is difficult for her, she gets bored so I don't see us doing long road trips anytime soon! And books are still a favorite.

But all that is just a small part of who she will become. I know there are layers and layers that will be revealed. Will she inherit her father's discipline? Is that nature, nurture or some combination of both? Will she be spontaneous or like routine? She likes books, but what will be her favorite, historical fiction, mysteries, non fiction, or all of the above? Will she like sports? Which ones? We both love art, in almost every form, will she? Will she be a leader, a helper, a hostess, an organizer? All this and more are yet to be discovered and the journey is just beginning!

1 comment:

Abby said...

I love this. Evelyn already is a beautiful combination of you and Bard that only God himself could perfect!

I love the picture, by the way!